As part of our work on tax returns over the past few months we have seen an increasing number of couples qualifying for Marriage allowance whereby £1,100 of the personal allowance can be transferred to your Husband, Wife or Civil partner if they earn more than you, which would result in a reduction of tax up to £220 per year.
To benefit as a couple, you (as the lower earner) must have an income of £11,000 or less.
This claim can be backdated to 6th April 2015 and we are happy to guide our clients through the process of claiming the additional reduction in tax.
If you or your partner were born before 6 April 1935, you might benefit more as a couple by applying for Married Couple’s Allowance instead.
Please contact the office to discuss this further with one of our experts who will be glad to help.